Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Reporting the Facts.

I don't wish to make light of a serious matter - and in fact, what I'm writing about has nothing to do with it - but while reading about the murder of that poor young guy in Tyrellstown at the weekend, I saw this description of the accused -
The older brother wore a green T-shirt and his left arm was in a sling. Michael Barry wore a cream-coloured hooded top.
What in the name of Jaysus has this got to do with anything? Are we supposed to infer something from they were wearing? Are we to think that as they weren't wearing suits, they're n'er do wells or something? Unfortunately, I don't think that there's even anything like such an agenda in play here - its just lazy, unprofessional, sub-standard journalism. Can we expect reports like this from now on?
Justice Phuqnob wore a smart red judicial gown, while chief prosecution counsel, Farquhar McCock sported a natty two-piece wig and gown combo.
This isn't the first time I've seen this sort of shite in the Irish Times lately - I have a feeling I may have read something about it on another blog recently as well. I've also noticed an insidious, tabloid trend creeping in too - crap puns in headlines, celebrity gossip shite and the like - and if it continues, I'm moving to The Examiner. Loike.

No comments: