Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I love Ireland

I am having a great week. Its been sunny and warm all week so far and there are times when I think there is no better place than Ireland on a sunny day, provided of course you are in the right location.

Today I visited my home county. The wonderful county of Mayo. I love Mayo. All Mayo people love Mayo and I have a strong feeling I got my last job because I was from Mayo (So was the interviewer). You city folk would not get the appeal of the place really until you visit for a weekend session. With the Sun shining and time to kill I made a break for Louisburg for a surfing lesson. (Same place as the first time there Marc). The waves were a little smaller this time but the water wasn't as cold as I expected April Atlantic to be.


The drive out to Louisburg from Westport is fantastic on a sunny day. Passing by Croagh Patrick I always get the urge to park the car and head on up there if I can see the church on the top. (Last time I went up there, it was clear blue skies with fantastic views over clew bay. Then a German wanker hikes up and tried to be my friend AND a crusty hippie fella took out a tin whistle and aurally assulted everyone up there, thats another story).


So I got out to Carrowniski beach and took my 3rd lesson and despite getting a belt of the surfboard across the knackers almost immediately I had a ball. I was using a 10ft board so it was handy enough to stand up on it after a while. I'm still crap and a little nervous about currents and tides and such and such. CJ Parker was nowhere around to rescue me if I got into trouble but at this beach you only need to wade out to chest level and then wait for a decent wave to brew. The hardest part is turning the board around to point toward the shore and jump up on it in the right spot before the feckin wave knocks you off. The salt water was stinging my eyeballs after a while too.
So thats it. A Long drive home and a late dinner. I think I'll have no problem sleeping tonight!

2 comments:

paul said...

Oh by the way. I took those pics with the iPhone Marc. I am addicted to it now. Its a bastard to use when driving is the only negative

Stephen said...

The pics look fantastic Paul. Your post made me feel very homesick. Not helped by the fact that while the Sun splits the stones in Ireland, it's been fucking PISSING rain here all week.